Cuisine: Middle Eastern/Fast Food
Last visited: February 28, 2010
Price Range: $10 or less
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!
Food: 4 (based on shawarma)
- Family owned and operated
- Fast food on Robson
- Specializes in falafel and shawarma
- Late night/munchies
- Very friendly service
- Quick and cheap eats
- Eat in/Take-out
- Mon-Sun 10am-11pm
**Recommendation: Shawarma, Hummus, Shawarma Plate (I haven’t tried the Falafels, but they should be good)
I decided to hit up Falafel Maison for a late night bite after winning the Olympic 2010 GOLD for Canada Men’s Hockey!! I had originally been craving donairs but settled for a shawarma.
Donair and shawarma are different, but it’s debatable what the exact differences are. For me, donairs are made up of ground meat and shawarma is pieces of whole meat. The shawarma is more of a Middle Eastern/Turkish item and the Donair I find is more Greek.
I must give a shout out to the owners who are super nice, friendly young guys that treat everyone like family.
On the table:
- Chicken, lettuce, tabouleh, hummus & yogurt sauce wrapped in pita. Optional hot sauce. I think it’s about $5.50
- Hot, fresh, made upon order.
- They spread a layer of hummus onto the pita first. It’s good creamy hummus but I could have used more. It was very subtle and had a garlic flavour.
- They load it with iceberg lettuce and tabouleh, but the tabouleh wasn’t very good here. It’s a traditional Middle Easter salad that’s mixed with vegetables, olive oil or spices. It was pretty much plain parsley here. I didn’t expect gourmet, but I expected a little more than this.
- They give you a little bit of tomato, but not enough.
- There’s a large amount of shaved chicken which is tender, juicy, moist and actually quite spicy. It's very well marinade with lots of spices. They do a great job with the rotisserie style roasting too.
- Last is the yogurt sauce. It’s not like tzatziki, but it’s more garlicky and also a bit spicy.
- There’s an optional hot sauce you can get which I think is used in the chicken marinade as well.
- Overall the shawarma was very good, but it was a bit dry for me. The pita was dry and although the meat was quite juicy it got lost with all the veggies. There's lots of ingredients, but when it's all rolled up I tasted a lot of pita and parsley.
- I definitely wanted more hummus and next time I’ll ask for extra yogurt sauce.