Restaurant: Bakery Nouveau – Review 2
Last visited: January 31, 2010
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!
Service: n/a (I wasn’t actually there)
- Pastry chef William Leaman
- Pastries baked several times daily
- Famous bakery in
- Gourmet bakery
- Traditional desserts with a
twist gourmet/West Coast
- Award winning desserts
- Natural ingredients
- Seasonal ingredients
- Gift baskets available
- Daily/Weekly/Holiday specials
- Dine in/Take-out
- Mon-Thurs 6am-7pm
- Fri 6am-9pm
- Sat 7am-9pm
- Sun 7am-7pm
I am so lucky to have friends that love me! To get desserts from Bakery Nouveau twice in one month is seriously something to brag about! My friends went down to
My 1st review for Bakery Nouveau.
Pumpkin Bread 4.5/6
- Super moist like a moist banana bread would be. It’s more like a cake than it is bread.
- Very buttery and a bit oily so you can see it on your hands. But it’s good!
- Very strong cinnamon taste, lots of canned pumpkin. I think there is lots of clove in there and maybe a little nutmeg too. It almost seems like all canned pumpkin in taste and texture because it’s so moist.
- It marbled with a brown sugar walnut crumb streusel. It’s almost paste like.
- It’s quite sweet, and even a bit salty. They definitely added that pinch of salt to bring out the flavours, but I could actually taste it a bit more than I wanted to.
Snowball Cake 5/6
- I don’t have the exact description but it had a custard bottom, cake layer, milk chocolate caramel Rum like layer, another custard layer, another cake layer and it was all covered with freshly dried coconut shavings. Probably around $5.50USD. It's quite expensive here.
- I love the coconut shavings! This cake was very custardy with a Rum taste. I think they use a very potent Vanilla Rum extract so it almost taste like there’s actually Rum in it.
- It’s creamy and very sweet, but good!
- It’s like a coconut vanilla custard trifle in taste and in texture it was like a tiramisu (without the cheese taste). It had egg nog like flavours, especially in the cust ard and there are real vanilla bean seeds in it.
- You can hear the moistness when you cut through it with your fork…sounds gross, but it’s really good. The cake layer is quite wet and soaked/
- The whole cake is spread with vanilla custard or a cream that’s a bit thinner than pastry cream before it’s covered with coconut.
- The chocolate layer is a bit too sweet. I think it’s a very low % of cocoa powder and it tastes like melted milk chocolate spread.
- It’s a bit too sweet and I wouldn’t want a whole piece. I needed to eat it with a glass of milk. It was still excellent though.
- My friend meant to order the Twice Baked Chocolate Croissant but by mistake called out Twice Baked Almond Croissant – which I tried last time.
- I actually started writing about it and how disappointed I was that there was no chocolate…until I realized…lol
- No changes, still delicious. Except I didn't like how oddly shaped it was, the one I had last time was better looking.