Thursday, February 4, 2010

Japadog Hot Dog - Review 2

Restaurant: Japadog

Cuisine: Japanese/Fusion

Last visited: January 24, 2010
Area: Vancouver, BC (Downtown)

Northwest corner of Burrard & Smithe, in front of Sutton Place hotel
Range
: $10 or less


1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!


Food: 6

Service: 3

Ambiance: n/a...it's a hot dog stand

Overall: 5

Additional comments:

  • Specializes in Japanese hot dogs
  • Pork, beef, turkey, veggie options
  • Special for Kurobuta sausage: 100% pure all-natural Berkshire pork
  • Most popular for Terimayo hot dog
  • New Terimayo hot dog menu: ft different versions of mo st popular hot dog
  • New Edamame hot dog menu
  • Hot, fresh w/exotic Japanese ingredients
  • Japanese operated
  • Japanese condiments: wasabi mayo etc.
  • New condiment - special plum sauce from Japan
  • Long lines, busy at peak hours
  • Attracts locals, tourists and famous people
  • Second location at W Pender & Burrard
  • $4.75-6.25

**Recommendation: Terimayo, Okonomi

Now I know I really like Japadog. I gave it a 6/6 in my first review for it and I still give it a 6/6. Overall everything is tres excellent here. Also I know it’s high on my list because I had an out of town guest visit and there was only so little time to try so much food and Japadog easily made it as priority.

It’s easy, quick, very “Vancouver”,different, and affordable! This is definitely an item my guest would never be able to find in Vienna, Austria!

I was planning on ordering the Terimayo, but upon arrival I noticed a new sign featuring their new item the “Edamame Dog”. Obviously I had to try it! They offer a few different versions of it so in the end I decided to go for a combination of the new and the old. I opted for the Edamame Terimayo!


On the table:

Edamame Terimayo 4.5/6

  • Bratwurst, Edamame, Teriyaki sauce, Japanese Mayo, Seaweed $6.25
  • I wish I liked it more. It was good, but I was expecting more.
  • I love Edamame so I thought this would be a great idea, but I actually like the regular Terimayo better than this.
  • There are no surprises here. It’s a bratwurst with Edamame beans and that’s it. The bratwurst was slit and the Edamame beans were actually placed in between the slits.
  • Since they used a bratwurst it’s not as flavourful as the 100% beef Jalapeno and Cheddar smokie in the Terimayo. It was exactly the same as the original Terimayo but they replaced the sausage. I think the beef would have overpowered the Edamame beans, but at the same time the brawurst didn’t do much for it either. I needed to add a lot (more than usual) of wasabi mayo to give it more flavour.
  • The Edamame just added texture, but not really flavour. There was nothing really special about having them in there and I couldn’t even really taste them. I wanted more Edamame flavour or even just more to it. It was too simple and even tasted too simple.
  • A couple bites after I noticed that edamame was also found throughout the hot dog and that was the only part that impressed me…otherwise I would have felt a bit ripped off.
  • It’s actually a bit pricey for a hot dog, but it is really good so I don’t mind.

4 comments:

  1. Edamame in a hot dog? It does not really work for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol how can you say if you've never tried it?

    Although it didn't really work for me either...but you have to at least TRY it right?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why would you expect the edamame to actually give flavour to the hotdog? Since you call yourself a foodie, you must have had steamed edamame as an appetizer. Theres a reason why they sprinkle seasalt on it....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the edamame could have been pureed and mixed in with the meat...that would have made it taste different.

    Also I think edamame has it's own flavour even without salt.

    ReplyDelete