Literally. There are no hours. If it's closed - it's closed. You better hope it's open!
The amazing chef - cooking up my delicious pancakes!
Restaurant: Grizzly Manor Cafe - Restaurant Review
Last visited: August 6, 09
41268 Big Bear Blvd
Price Range: $10 or less
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!
Food: 5, but 6 for pancakes!
Service: 6, funny and extremely sarcastic!
Ambiance: 5, sarcastic bumper stickers cover the walls
- Located in Big Bear Lake, California (the mountains)
- Famous for big portion pancakes and breakfasts - HUGE portions!
- Biggest, best, and fluffiest pancakes I've ever had in my life
- Hole in the wall - local and tourist favourite
- Cheesiest grilled cheese sandwich
- Ambiance and service with attitude - extremely sarcastic!
- Business hours are random - open and closes depending on owners mood
- Lunch served after 11am if cook is in the mood, no lunch on weekends
- Plate fee of $1.00 for if you share.
- Warning: Will suffer from food coma, and meals may clog arteries - but it's so damn good!
If you are ever in California - head to Big Bear Lake, just to visit the Grizzly Manor Cafe. THE BEST, BIGGEST, AND FLUFFIEST pancakes I've ever had in my life. I still dream about them. Its near impossible to finish one. The service, atmosphere, decor, and menu are extremely sarcastic and casual. Get your own coffee. Write your own name. As the menu says "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason...so if you're hungry, be nice!"...be nice! This place is great!! If you come, you better be prepared!
On the table:
- **One Blueberry Cake (Pancake) 6/6
- Made upon order - this is the best pancake I've ever had. It was the size of a vinyl record and it was sooo fluffy! It's nice and thick, your traditional old fashioned style pancake. THE perfect pancake! Loaded with blueberries, this pancake is enough for 2 people. You can't even see the plate it comes on because it's so big. I still dream about this...you can't stop eating it...but you're so full...and at only $4.00 - a bargain
- They offer buttermilk, chocolate chip, and buckwheat cakes as well - you don't come to Grizzly Manor and order a buckwheat - that would piss off the owner.
- Short Stack Blueberry Cakes 6/6
- This is a bigger version of one blueberry cake - it comes with 2 pancakes - and you definitely can't finish this on your own. $6.50
- ** Waffle 6/6
- This was equally as good as the pancake. Its normal size to because its the size of a waffle maker. Again really fluffy - the perfect waffle! $5.99
- Two eggs with ham, corned beef hash, hash browns, toast 3/6
- Sissy Boy - Love the name! 4/6
- 1 pancake, 2 eggs, 2 strips of bacon - again, it is what it is.
- Farmer's Delight 4/6
- Pork chops, two eggs, hash browns, and toast $11.25
- It comes with 2 pieces of pork chops, and they're not small either
- Kathy Melt 5/6
- Hamburger, Swiss cheese and grilled onion on sourdough $8.25
- This was a great burger! They grill the whole burger and the sourdough is all buttered and crispy! Really nice ground beef - 1.25 inch patty and its moist and not dry. The definition of a true American diner burger. It's greasy and good - it has to be to own the name.
- Boring Phil 4/6
- You haven't had a grilled cheese sandwich until you've tried this. There is more cheese than there is bread. Double the cheese. Extremely oily - this is what you expect when you order a grilled cheese at an American diner. Delicious if you're a fan of eating melted cheddar cheese on heavily buttered bread. It's a 2-1 cheese to bread ratio. The cheesiest grilled cheese ever.
- ** The Polar Bear
- I did not order this. But more or less tried it with everything on the table. I have to write about it because it's "the biggest of them all". Bacon, 2 eggs, hash browns, and 2 pancakes.
- This is a portion that's big enough to feed a family of 4-6. At only $10.25 this is a major bargain.
- Note: There is an extra plate fee of $1.00 if you want to share