Cranberry & Pumpkin Seed - Mini bun
Restaurant: The Bread Company - Bread review
Last visited: August 15, 09
363 Bernard Ave
Price Range: $10-20
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!
- All breads made on site daily
- No refined sugars added
- Vegetable/Olive oil only
- Made with filtered water
- Breads are aged 16-24 hours before baking
- Hearth baking
- Organic bread available
- Each day features a new bread
- Weekly/Daily menu for breads found on website
- Sturdy/chewy breads - not the fluffy buttery type
I have dedicated a separate blog just to talk about the different types of breads I tried.
On the table:
- **Fig & Anise Bread 6/6
- Flour, rye, whole wheat flour, water, sea salt, toasted walnuts, raisins, figs, anise
- My favourite! You MUST try it! I discovered it at Raudz, one of the best restaurants in Kelowna. They used this bread for their BLT and let me tell you it set the tone for the whole sandwich. I didn't know the bread was from The Bread Company until I went here for lunch the next day...then of course I had to take a loaf home.
- This bread has generous amounts of figs throughout the bread. A lot of figs! Every bite has some figs or some raisins. It was more figs than raisins and figs are more expensive. I didn't taste or see any walnuts though....I don't think they were in there. I couldn't really taste the anise either...but it doesn't matter, this is a great bread! Keep in mind it is bread though - not pastry bread, so don't let the figs fool you into thinking this is a sweeter pastry bread.
- It's best eaten toasted - no need for butter, but you can if you want. The figs just plump up wihen you toast it and the flavour is so much better.
- A bit expensive for almost $5, but the ingredients are high in quality so it works.
- Tasty Twist Ideas:
- Toast it and spread a layer of maple walnut ice cream on top...to die for! Makes a nice dessert.
- Toast it and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Delicious!..if you like goat's cheese, melt a thin slice on the bread before the balsamic glaze.
- **Multi Grain Bread 5/6
- My next favourite after the Fig & Anise bread
- Flour, whole wheat flour, rye, water, sea salt, flax seed, sunflower seed, oats
- Great toasted with butter.
- Very nice crust and you can bite into and see all the seeds, oats and flax - great texture! You can really taste the ingredients and the quality of this bread.
- Better than Good Hearth
- Walnut Raisin - mini bun 2/6
- Flour, whole wheat flour, rye flour, water, salt, levain, walnuts, raisins
- I had this in a mini bun form and it was better toasted.
- It was actually more salty than sweet in flavour which is unexpected. A nice amount of raisins, but not enough walnuts. Not my favourite, and not spectacular, but still good.
- Cranberry Pumpkin Seed - mini bun 1/6
- Flour, whole wheat flour, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, water, salt, yeast
- I had this in mini bun form and I was really dissappointed. I wouldn't order it again. I expected it to be bursting with cranberries like the figs, but it wasn't. It hardly had any cranberries or pumpkin seeds - just look at the picture.
- I thought this would be more tart, but it was actually sweeter than the walnut raisin. I think they could have purposely added less cranberries to make it not as tart. But I think if you're ordering this, you like the tartness cranberries add and thus they should have been liberal with them. It's still not a sweet bread, but it was sweeter than expected.
- I also tried Good Hearth (Multi Grain is better) and the Sourdough, but it was nothing really special or different than what I could find at other bakeries.
- All their breads are chewy with a tougher crust, all taste the best toasted...brings out the flavour of the ingredients.