Cuisine: Japanese/Sushi/Korean BBQ/Buffet
Area: Vancouver, BC - Downtown (2 locations in Vancouver)
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent 6: Tres Excellent!!
- Offers Korean BBQ and popular Japanese items/sashimi
- Owned and operated by Chinese
- Not authentic Japanese sushi
- Typical all-you-can-eat/buffet standards
- Good for large groups
- Reservations recommended
- Lunch buffet $13 11-2:30pm
- Dinner buffet $23 5-10:30pm
- Open everyday
This is the part 2 of my review which focuses just on the deep fried items. It was too much to put under one review so I split them up.
See the 1st part of my review for Shabusen
On the table:
- Agedashi Tofu 1.5/6
- Zucchini Tempura
- Batter was too thick again. It was chewy, soggy, doughy and just not good.
- I do appreciate the fact that I could specifically order a zucchini tempura though. Most places don't allow you to select your veggie.
- Corn Cake 2.5/6
- The corn cake was almost like a corn croquette. It had a really creamy filling that was perhaps thickened with condensed milk and mayo mix. It was sweet and I would have preferred a bit more savoury. It was a bit flavourless. The sauce wasn't as good as bechemel sauce.
- This one was breaded rather than battered. It was much better.
- Tonkatsu 4/6
- The Tonkatsu was perhaps the most enjoyable.
- It was really good and crispy and they gave you a big piece of it. It had a perfectly browned panko crust and the pork was very lean. They served it hot and fresh, however as it cooled the meat tasted really dry. Which made me think that the "moistness" was due to the deep-frying.
- The sauce was pretty good too. It's almost like a Japanese BBQ sauce.
- Herring Tempura 1/6
- Again the batter came right off because it was too thick. The herring is a little salty and there's tiny tiny caviar in the belly. It's not really crunchy like masago or even as salty, but it's very soft and fishy tasting.
- They make it better version at Chinese restaurants.
- It was a coffee jello with evaporated milk.
- The presentation was horrible and it looked like it was separating.
- The jello tastes like a strong pot of coffee and they skimped out on the condensed milk so it looked really bad.
- They had no mango pudding either.
- To eat: you mix it all up.